Scream For Ice Cream!
In a small resealable plastic bag, combine half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla. Push out excess air and seal. Next, into a large resealable plastic bag, combine ice and salt. Place the small bag inside the bigger bag and shake vigorously, 7 to 10 minutes, until ice cream has hardened. Last step: Remove from bag and enjoy with your favorite ice cream toppings. There is nothing kiddos love more than creating and eating treats all on their own!
- 1 Cup Half & Half
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups Ice
- 1/3 Cup Kosher Salt
- Plastic Ziploc Bag
- Two-year-olds—Pre measure all ingredients, help your child pour all the ingredients into the baggies. Give your kiddo some gloves to help hold the bag even as it gets colder and colder.
- Three-year-olds—Have the child help to measure the ingredients and pour them in on his or her own. Ask your child what they think will happen when you shake the ice cream up!
- Four-/Five-year-olds—Have your child read and follow the directions, be there for support but give your child the freedom to cook on their own. Have your child serve the family their homemade treat.
Skills Supported: Conduct cooking experiments with support, sensory exploration of hot and cold, vocabulary building