- Our Team
About Cadence Academy Preschool
Our beautiful preschool and child care center, which opened its doors in September 2009, is designed for children ages 6 weeks to 12 years old. Our school was previously known as Gateway Academy, but we changed our name in November 2019 as part of our school’s ongoing commitment to providing families access to the very best preschool programming.
Every teacher at Cadence Academy Preschool, Steele Creek has a genuine passion for the education of the children under their care. When you visit our preschool and daycare center, you will sense our passion and commitment to see every child flourish. And, as elementary schools are altering schedules, we are here to serve your needs and the needs of your school-aged children with enhanced programs to help with virtual learning sessions and more.
- Infant Day Care (ages 6 weeks to 1 year). We use a partnership approach to involve even the busiest parents in their baby’s first learning experiences.
- Toddler Child Care (ages 1 to 2). This child care program factors in the rapid cognitive, socio-emotional, and physical development of kids ages one to two years old.
- Early Learners (ages 2 to 3). We foster the development of the “Whole Child” in our Early Learners program.
- Preschool (ages 3 to 4). Our skilled staff and parents work together to create a solid foundation for your child’s lifelong education.
- Pre-Kindergarten (ages 4 to 5). In this Pre-K program, children enjoy a comprehensive curriculum that ensures their readiness to succeed in elementary school.
- School-Age Program (ages 5 to 12). This before and after school program includes homework help and a ton of fun activities to ensure your child has a good time.
At Cadence Academy Steele Creek in Charlotte, North Carolina we provide parents peace of mind by giving children an exceptional education every fun-filled day in a place as nurturing as home.
What Makes Our Child Care Center Unique
We believe that every child is unique and special. We also believe that children learn best through play.
Under our teachers’ careful guidance, we lead our students through a theme-based curriculum that encourages expression in the areas of educational, social, physical, and emotional growth. Each child’s growth is further enhanced by the low teacher-to-child ratio in every classroom. We also offer:
- The Ascend Curriculum, which enables our teachers to create individualized learning experiences for each child in our care. Each month, our students develop skills across nine different learning domains through fun, engaging activities.
- Nutritious meals and snacks provided by our on-site chef and are included in our regular tuition.
- Classroom and playground cameras. Our three playgrounds each offer developmentally-appropriate equipment so that every child can have the opportunity to play safely.
Cadence Academy Preschool, Steele Creek received a four-star rating from the state of North Carolina.
More About Our Preschool
Our daycare is located in the Berewick neighborhood on Arrowood Road between South Tryon Street and Steele Creek Road, within one mile of I-485 and I-77. Close housing communities are Berewick, Palisades, The Crossings, Steele Creek, and Planter’s Walk. We serve the following zip codes: 28273, 28278, and 28217. We also serve Lake Wylie, 29710 and Fort Mill, SC 29078.
Our early learning center provides transportation to and from the following elementary schools:
- Palisades Park Elementary
- Berewick Elementary
- Steele Creek Elementary
- Lake Wylie Elementary
- Winget Park Elementary
To ensure we meet the needs of today’s busy families, we offer extended hours from 6:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Mayra Cintron de Shahid
I am a native of Corozal, Puerto Rico, and moved to the Charlotte area in the 1990’s. I am a determined, passionately dependable entrepreneur and a mother of 5 children. In 2002, I graduated from Northern Virginia Community College with an Associate of Applied Science degree in Early Childhood Education. In the spring of 2009, I graduated from Ashford University with a Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Management. Currently, I am enrolled in the University of Arizona to earn a Master’s degree in Early Childhood Leadership.
I’ve gained my work experience in education; I have worked with for-profit and non-profit organizations, gained experience as president and vice president of the Parent Teacher Organization, and worked as a teacher, supervisor, center director, and executive director. I have more than 25 years of experience in child development, and it is one of my main passions.
Miss Lakendra teaches before and after school at a nearby elementary school, and comes to Cadence Academy during the middle of the day. She covers breaks in all classrooms. All of the children know and love her. She started working with children in 1997, and is extremely patient and knowledgeable. She has her North Carolina Early Childhood Credentials.
Miss Deborah is a dearly loved infant teacher. She has her Associates in Early Childhood Education and her SIDS certification. Miss Deborah has a fun loving personality and is very nurturing with the infants in her care. She has over 20 years of experience caring for infants and is very knowledgeable, which is helpful for new parents.
Miss Becky is a beloved toddler teacher. She has her Associates in Elementary Education and her North Carolina Early Childhood Credentials. Miss Becky does a wonderful job providing love and attention to the children in her care. She is very hands on and enjoys implementing our curriculum through fun art activities and learning experiences.